The prices paid for books are dependent on the nationwide demand for each title so prices may fluctuate daily. Come early for the best prices. For more information about Buyback please refer to our Buyback FAQ below, or give us a call at (808) 974-7348 .
December 2019 Buyback
Monday (12/16/2019) – Tuesday (12/17/2019)
8:00am - 3:30pm
8:00am - 5:00pm
Thursday (12/19/2019) – Friday (12/20/2019)
8:00am - 3:30pm
Textbook Buyback FAQ
What is textbook buyback?
- Textbook buyback is a service provided by the bookstore at the end of each semester. This is an opportunity for students to sell back textbooks that they no longer need or want to keep for future reference.
- Buyback is usually held at the end of the Fall and Spring semesters.
- If you miss a buyback period, you can try and sell your books at the next period. However, While Used textbooks are always in demand, the title(s) you are selling may not be in use for the next term. We encourage you to sell your books back as soon as you can.
- The bookstore buys textbooks back from students because:
- Textbooks are a reusable resource.
- Buying textbooks back from students helps to defray the cost of books for the next semester by converting unwanted textbooks into cash.
- Used textbooks are a cheaper alternative to new textbooks.
- No, you do not need to bring your receipt to sell back your books. However, you will need your receipt if you wish to return books during the extended return period in the beginning of the current semester.
- You can sell back your textbooks at any of the stores in the University of Hawai'i Bookstore system. Each store has varying dates and times for Buyback so be sure to check what the dates and times are for the store that is most convenient for you.
- The price paid for books depends on the demand for the book. There are different scenarios that could happen:
- If the bookstore has received a textbook order from the instructor indicating that the textbook will be used in the upcoming semester, we will pay up to 50% of the current new book price, regardless if you bought it new or used, if we have not yet fulfilled our need for the title.
- Because we work with a wholesale textbook company, we may be able to buy your textbook back at the wholesale price if we have fulfilled our requirements and there is a nationwide demand for the title. The wholesale company works with other schools and this creates a nationwide demand for certain titles.
- The wholesale price for the title may be less than 50% of the new book price.
- Unfortunately, if there is no demand for the title we are not able to buy it back from you. This is usually the case when a new edition of the textbook is published and there is no instructor using the book for the next semester, or the book is a custom publication.
- It is best to try and bring all of the items with you when you sell back your books in order to get the best price. Some of these items may be required by the instructor for the upcoming semester and we are not able to buy back the book without all of the items.
- There are some items that are generally not bought back such as duplicated items and custom-published materials, but it is best to bring any books you want to sell back as you may be able to sell them.
- In most cases, as long as the book is in saleable condition and there is a demand for the book you should be able to sell back your book. Even if you marked up and highlighted the book you may be able to sell it back.
- Some examples of books not in saleable condition are:
- Water-damaged books
- Books with torn or missing pages
- Books with missing covers
- Books with missing pages
- Books with broken spines
- Books that are over-highlighted or excessively marked in